- AVG Anti-Virus - Keep Yours as well as others computers virus free!
- Memory Upgrade Tool - Discover what type of Memory your computer uses and if you're upgrading someone else's Memory this is the only place to go.
- Password Recovery Tools - A whole host of password recovery tools, including wireless key finders, windows logins, and much more:All Free.
- Sysinternals - Yes they are owned by Microsoft now, but they still have a huge list of free utilities that can help you troubleshoot either yours or a potential customers computer
- Ultimate Boot CD - There are CPU tests like CPU Burn-in. Memory diagnostic tools like Memtest86. There are hard drive wiping tools like Darik's Boot and Nuke and many others popular utilities that can help you diagnose computer problems on your own. All you need to do is download the CD and burn the .iso image to a CD. There are limitless troubleshooting applications here.
- Windows Update - Used to get all the latest Microsoft Windows Updates downloaded automatically to your computer. Has a lot of benefit but use with caution stick with the critical updates typically
- Easy BCD - EasyBCD is a freeware program that allows you to easily edit the bootloader and allow for multiple-boot systems--like an XP and Vista machine.
- PFrank - PFrank is a bulk file renaming tool that allows you to quickly and easily rename multiple files. This is great for renaming photos and music files that are very similar.
Malware Removal Tools
- Blink - Blink Personal Edition is a great malware protection program that blocks and removes viruses, spyware, worms and Trojans. It also helps detect missing patches and prevents zero-day exploits on your system. It has a free one-year subscription, then it is a real great deal compared to other anti-maleware tools.
- Spybot Search and Destroy - Regarded as one of the very best spyware utilities, SS&D allows for easy definition updates, scanning and removal of spyware, and an Immunization tool that protects you before infection. No PC should be without this great tool. As with any scanner, be sure to update the definitions after installation.
- Hijack This - HJT is a slightly more advanced tool that provides you with a log file to analyze in the event your PC become so devistated by spyware, other tools just won't work. Hijack This makes it easy to fix these dubious entries, but you may need to read up on how to analyze the log files before you randomly start removing things from your PC.
- DeepBurner - DeepBurner is free DVD and CD burning software that allows you to make bootable disks and .ISO image files, as well. There is a Pro Version, too, but many people will feel the free version does everything they need.
- Windows Media Player - WMP is continuously evolving to grow with the needs of Windows and PC users who demand the the best from one of the oldest media players. Check the Windows Media Player website often for new releases.
- QuickTime - Apple's answer to the Windows media player. This player has different versions from free to commercial that allows you to do just about anything you want. Available for Windows machines, too.
- Kerio Firewall - Most trial software works for a month and then stops, but not the Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall. After 30 days, it shuts down advanced privacy protection features, but will continue to run with reduced functionality for free.
- ZoneAlarm Firewall - There's a free and a commercial version. Easy-to-use firewall blocks hackers and other unknown threats.
- SmartFTP - SmartFTP has bee around for a while and offers their software as shareware, which means you can try it before you purchase. The interface can be a little confusing unless you are familiar with it, but once you learn, you can navigate and use the program with great ease. This is a solid FTP program.
- CuteFTP - CuteFTP is a very good FTP program that offers a 30-day trial. The interface is clean and easy to use. Using CuteFTP to connect to servers and move files is easy because the interface allows you to easily drag and drop files from one location to another.
- CoreFTP - CoreFTP offers a free version and allows for secure SSH, browser integration and firewall support make this a great alternative to some of the commercial scripts. They also offer commercial versions to support your personal or business needs.
- Wizip - Winzip has been around for a long time. This file compression utility allows you to zip and unzip files and has an easy to follow Wizard that allows you to accomplish your compression tasks easily. WinZip is shareware and has a trial period before you are required to purchase.
- WinRar - WinRAR is a powerful archive manager that allows you to compress and decompress .zip and .rar files. It is shareware and also has several different themes to choose from to customize the icons. Unlocks most compressed files, I actually like it better than Winzip
- 7-Zip - 7-Zip is a great open source zipping utility that many techs use in the field. It's free and works great. It's for packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR. For unpacking only: RAR, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, CHM, Z, CPIO, RPM, DEB and NSIS.
- The Belarc Advisor - use this to find out what type of hardware is inside your computer. A must have for computer technicians.
- Sandra SiSoft - A great free computer benchmarking tool. They have several versions available.
Data Back Up & File Recovery Software
- Drive Image XML V1.21 - Backup Your hard drive, copy one hard drive to another and more
- File Hamster - Free real time backup and archiving of your files while you work
- Photo Backup LE - Easily back up all your valuable photos. Notice the free version is on the bottom of the page
- Undelete Plus - Easily recover accidentally deleted files
- Kryptel Lite - Easily permanently delete files from your hard drive
Hard Drive Utilities
- Auslogics Disk Defrag - A free program to help defragment and organize your hard drive
- Darik's Boot and Nuke - DBAN is a simple, yet powerful utility that will wipe clean most hard drive's after booting to a floppy disk. This is a great tool for fast formats or shredding of data when selling or throwing out your PC.
- Cleanup Assistant -A freeware software program that performs various hard drive maintenance tasks, including cleaning, finding large and duplicate files, shredding documents and much more.
- HD Clone 3.2 - The free ware version is great for transferring data from one hard drive to another. It runs on a bootable floppy or CD that it creates and allows you to easily clone your old drive onto your new drive.
- Seagate DiskWizard - Seagate's tool used for installing new Seagate hard drives in computers.
- Western Digital Data Lifeguard - Diagnostic and other utilities for Western Digital hard drives only. Select your drive model from the list and download
- MaxBlast - Maxblast is Maxtors hard disk utility. This utility will help users format and copy data from one drive to another in new installations of Maxtor hard disks..
- Memtest86 - Memtest is considered one of the best memory diagnostic utilities out there. This free tool will allow you to make a bootable CD or floppy disk that runs the program automatically when you turn on your PC. By running this program for a few hours you will be able to pinpoint hardware problems with your memory that may have been causing your computer to crash
- Windows Memory Diagnostic - Windows Memory Diagnostic is a great tool you can download if you do not have Vista (Included in Vista). Download and put the program on a disk. Insert the disk and reboot to that drive and let the diagnostic check your RAM for errors.
- RegSeeker 1.55 -This Registry program allows you to scan for bad and duplicate files, clean the registry and even optimize the Operating System. It's available for all versions of Windows.
- Eusing Free Registry Cleaner - Eusing Free Registry Cleaner is a free registry repair utility that allows you to clean and repair your computer's registry with a few simple mouse clicks. The Windows Registry is a crucial part of your PC's operation system.
- CCleaner - CCleaner is a free system optimization and privacy utility. CCleaner removes unused files from your computer which allows Windows to run faster. It also frees up valuable hard disk space. For privacy, CCleaner also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history
Network and Internet Troubleshooting
- Network Speed Test - Help determine what kind of performance your network is getting and also diagnose any potential speed issues with your or your clients internet connection
- Winsock Fix - Used to solve a variety of internet connection issues. I've used it many times to fix computers damaged by spyware or virus's or computers that just plain cannot access the internet. Has just plain saved my life many times
- AnalogX Fast Cache - This program improves connection speed by caching DNS on your local computer. Each time you go to a web page or perform any other Internet task, your PC contacts DNS servers on the Internet. By caching these servers on your local machine you should, theoretically, connect faster.
- Network Stumbler - NetStumbler (also known as Network Stumbler) is a tool for Windows that facilitates detection of Wireless LANs using the 802.11b, 802.11a and 802.11g WLAN standards. It runs on Microsoft Windows 98 and above. A trimmed-down version called MiniStumbler is available for Windows CE.
Free Remote Desktop & VNC Software
- TightVNC - TightVNC is a free remote desktop client the gives you the ability to serve and view desktops to remote computers. It can be used to view MAC and control MACs and other cross-platform computers.
- RealVNC -RealVNC is another fantastic remote desktop application. View and serve computers remotely with realVNC. Setup is fast and easy.
- Microsoft Remote Desktop - While most people already have remote desktop on their XP or Vista PC, it can be difficult to use at times and is not as intuitive as other free remote desktop clients. It is free and it works great when you get it setup.
- Log Me In - LogMeIn is a great solution for those who want to provide remote desktop support directly through their web browser. It's free, but they also have commercial applications of the same product.